Saturday 29 February 2020

The Magpies in Ripon

Last night  I went to Ripon to see The Magpies on the first night of their tour to launch their first album. I didn't know what to expect  as I hadn't listened to their music beforehand but was interested in going to the gig after seeing it announced on Sarah Smout's Facebook page, which I liked after seeing her play cello in Michael Chapman's band  in York last year.  Sarah was not there last night and the band consisted of Bella Gafney, Polly Bolton and Holly Brandon. I was very very impressed. I've been a huge folk fan for most of my life and The Magpies are one of the most exciting bands I've ever seen. They have real charisma and their blend of voices and instruments is stunning. All three write and write very well. Bella and Polly are both really distinctive lead vocalists. Their original songs are extremely good. The standout for me was 'Golden Girl', a beautiful haunting song, inspired by Swaledale (where my lead miner ancestors worked before they walked to Durham to become coal miners).Their covers were interesting and well chosen. I bought their CD (and was actually the first person ever to buy one) of which they unsurprisingly sold quite a few. 'Tidings' is excellent and I've played it more than once today. I've become an instant fan and will make a point to seeing this band again soon.
If you get a chance to see them on their current tour or subsequently, don't miss the opportunity. I'd be surprised if they didn't become stars of the folk music scene quickly.

https://www.themagpiesmusic.com







No comments: