Tuesday 30 December 2008

Accident

For Christmas I was given a box set of Joseph Losey films by my wife. I watched 'Accident' for the first time in about 20 years on the evening of Christmas Day. Earlier in the evening I had watched the announcement of Harold Pinter's death on the news. 'Accident' was a film that left an indelible impression on me as a teenager and as a young man but I hadn't been able to see it for years. Seeing it again my belief was re-inforced that this is one of the best films of the 60s and one of the best films in world cinema. The writing direction and acting, photography, set design, sound and editing are as good as you will find in cinema. The film based on the novel by Nicholas Mosley (one of the greatest and undercelebrated English Novelists.) Pinter's script takes the source and creates another work that stands beside and apart from a great novel.

No comments: